Sunday, November 7, 2010

Expanding Service for DC Area: Washington Institute

One of the most seasoned of leaders in healthcare growth whom I've met is Dr. Victoria Goldsten -- founder of the Washington Institute of Natural Medicine (WINMdc.com).

The Institute has been a consistent resource for both natural medicine services and training in what they call Traditional Naturopathy or Classical Naturopathy. For several years I have been a supporter of this facility in their former location in the Cleveland Park/National Zoo area of the District of Columbia.

During the past few years when the District of Columbia was considering how to regulate the practices of the relatively new profession of Naturopathic Physician, I have been a consistent advocate for allowing a regulatory structure that honors the public benefits of both of these natural medicine professions. I have observed Dr. Goldsten and naturopaths from DC and surrounding states as they diligently gave inputs to the process and responded to various developments regarding practice of natural health methods in The District.

I am particularly impressed with the Washington Institute's contribution to education in natural medicine and natural health approaches. My repeated statement to them is that their structure for teaching is in alignment with the old-fashioned method of training apprentices using on-site and hands-on learning as a key addition to their online educational opportunities.

Dr. Goldsten's unique "Natural Health Exam" is an example of the eclectic blend of techniques of assessment and treatment that is reminiscent of when I was a student of Dr. John Bastyr, Dr. Gary Berg and others who understood the interface between the "old school" naturopathic doctors and the newly developing profession of "naturopathic physician."

Now that the Washington Institute has relocated to the Tenleytown area of northwest DC, I have begun seeing patients there on a part-time basis. I will be offering the Natural Health Exam, to ensure continuity of their record-keeping system and to enable more effective communication about patient cases when I ask other practitioners at the Institute to participate in their care. I will also offer laboratory testing and other scientific approaches of assessment and treatment as I draw upon my extensive background in western medicine, acupuncture, homeopathy, Ayurveda, Craniosacral therapy, biofeedback, counseling, hypnotherapy, physical medicine and more.

I invite you to visit the Institute's internet site (WINMdc.com) and my own clinical site (NaturalConnectionsHealthcare.com) for more information. It is deeply rewarding for me to now include part-time practice there in support of that important Washington DC institution.